haptic: (:: into light)
crawling through your veins. ([personal profile] haptic) wrote2019-01-28 11:41 am

Nightmare; or, the Call of Love and Hate

"Those born to wealth, and who have the means of gratifying every wish know not what is the real happiness of life, just as those who have been tossed on the stormy waters of the ocean on a few frail planks can alone realize the blessings of fair weather."
Emmanuel Herbaut, The Count of Monte Cristo





Or is there nothing there to see? I don't know. I can't even tell whether my eyes are open.
Where am I? I don't know. Am I standing or sitting?
I try to speak. My lips don't move. My tongue doesn't move. No sound comes from my throat.
Ah. Am I in a bad situation?
My body does feel heavy...

[sfx: approaching footsteps.]



[music: finish.]




"... hmph. What's with that look? Those puppy eyes are a waste of time with me.
"Of course, time is meaningless. At least in a place like this."


> ... are you by chance...?

"Do you know me? No. It can't be. You know nothing.
"Don't you get it, Master? Ritsuka.
"I have come from a place far beyond love and hatred. And so, I am somewhat... different from the version of me you know."

[sfx: a lighter igniting.
And for just a brief moment, I saw...]

"... all right, they'll be here soon.
You must leave this place. I am the one who shall burn away the remnants of darkness festering here.
"My flames shall scorch your self and soul, and I cannot guarantee your safety.
"Forgive me. You do not belong in a place like this."


> I don't want to.
I don't know what's going on, but I can't leave you alone.


"... I see. Then keep up, and mind the flames."

meanwhile...
[music: corridor of memories.]



[sfx: a door opening.]





Sleep is necessary to maintain the health of a human body. I advise you to return to your own room to rest, Mister Edmond Dantès.


I am a Servant. You are as well.


Yes.


...


I'm speaking of Master. Our conversation will interrupt his sleep cycle. Though he may be sleeping peacefully right now...


Peacefully, is that right?


... something the matter, sir?


No. As long as he is sleeping, that's fine.
I was worried some residual effect might remain in his consciousness...


No, it's nothing. Forget about it.


Mister Dantès. May I ask a question?


If you must.


It's been bothering me for a while, but it seems an emergency operation will be necessary.
I must take action before it is too late. Leave it to me I shall pursue the most effective treatment for the injured area.


... Master is not injured. As you pointed out, I hear peaceful breathing.


No. Wrong, sir.


...


I am talking about you. Your mental state is injured. If it's the surgical removal of the affected area you require, leave it to me.


... what?
Mercédès. I know of your wicked ways, but to go that far seems excessive, even to you?


Just like that. That statement. You may not realize it, but your outbursts suggest that you're mistaking me for someone else.
Swift, decisive action must be taken. Yes. You have uttered troubling nonsense about the sleeping Master.


... wait.

[sfx: a gun being readied.]


No. Measures will be taken.

[sfx: a gun being cocked.]


Don't you dare come at me with a scalpel in one hand and a gun in the other. At least hold the scalpel in your dominant hand. No, that's not what I meant to say!
Why are you watching Master sleep, anyway? You must have sensed some abnormality.


I don't know if it's instinct, or if you sensed something in his magical energy, but you are correct. You've read the situation right.
Master is in contact with many Servants, so how did this happen to his mental state?






It appears that you do not see me as a Servant. You call me Berserker, yet still call me Mercédès.
I am not her. I am not the woman whom you call by that name.


Of course not. Your Spirit Origin doesn't have the memories of those seven days.





However, as I am still not this Mercédès, there is nothing for it but to take the appropriate measures. Thus...
... I shall disinfect that mental state of yours.


...





Oh. He has fled.
... unbelievable. Next time I see him, I must be sure to tend to him.

*

[music: a familiar melody.]




>Something like that...
I don't remember it all that clearly...



What a strange dream. I am no expert in interpreting dreams...
But if you would like, shall I try accessing Chaldea's database?
Even I can do that much. It's not like we're booting up Sheba or Trismegistus.

[music: stop.]



[music: exciting journey.]


Since ancient times, as far back as the Age of Gods, humanity has tried to interpret the meaning of their dreams.
The most famous of dream interpreters of your modern time would be Sigmund Freud...
But my dream interpretation is one of a kind! Hee hee. I call it -





Huh...?! If you shoot AC through your brain, it'll be a "Scanners" kind of head explosion catastrophe!


Haha, you know nothing, furball! AC is harmless to the body! It's even healthy if used in the right amount!
It can do anything! For example, it can observe how neurons communicate in detail!
Let us decipher what is inside Ritsuka's head once and for all!
For example, what is Master's favorite dish? And of course, what is his favorite AC!


Argh! You mean things like what kind of clothes Master likes! And of course, what is his favorite DC!


... what kind of DC...? You misspoke, Edison. You're making no sense.


Look who's talking!!!!!!

[sfx: two idiots beating each other up.]


Th-they're fighting again... Those two are really going at it. It's such a childish fight! And they've already come to blows!


But to be honest, observing the brain is a bit much...


> No, I'm not down for invasion of my privacy.


That's right! It's no good! It's not right to look into other people's heads!


Well said, Mash. You're quite right.


Things like this must be done in secret. It was my fault for bringing it up in a public place like this.
Let's put both Lemurian oneiromancy and the dream reading I learned directly from the Mahatmas on hold for today. Yep.
I'm sorry.


And... you two bratty geniuses!


Y-yes, ma'am!


Don't start fighting as soon as you see each other! If you have that much energy to spare, go to the simulator!


Twenty consecutive Soul Eaters and Spriggans! Work out your extra energy that way!


Wh-whaaaaat?!




a little while later...
[music: a familiar melody.]




Those two looked really determined. It was quite an inspiring sight to see.


> Electric Lion's Proud Infinite Battle.
Electric Gentleman's Brave Infinite Battle.



Infinite... It really was intense.






> Oh, did I?
I might've gotten dizzy watching the infinite battle.


[sfx: approaching footsteps.]








...


Mentor, is something wrong?


Those smiles on your faces were simply dazzling. As warm as the sun itself rising into the sky.


It is truly wonderful, and fills my heart.


Y-you think so? Um, did I just get praised?


Yes. Of course.


... by the way, Master. Has anything new happened?


> Nothing really...


Is that so? Well, then, never mind.
As I'd expect of the avenging demon who advanced his own mentality to that state. I'm relieved to see that he is doing his job properly.


... Amakusa?


No, nothing. I was only talking to myself.


...?
Mentor, what are you talking about? I am so confused.


This is rather a complicated matter. Well, if I had to cut it down to a single phrase...



*

[sfx: approaching footsteps.]
[music: finish.]



"Unbelievable. You really are a curious Master.
"You could have had a peaceful dream, or lain in dreamless slumber.
"But instead you come here, to this awful place. I suggest you stop.
"Do you understand? This place is too dangerous.
"This darkness is indeed a part of your dream, but one normally would not see this. It is not a place where you should linger.
"The me here is quite different than the me you know. I may not always be so hospitable.
"Begone. And forget this place."


> You're not going to smoke?

"... ah, yes.
"I am afraid I lack a light. Or, have I handed you one before?
"Then, please. My dark flame of vengeance would simply char my precious cigar."

[sfx: a lighter igniting.
And once more, I see his face in the glow.]

"... you're impertinent. Even in the black depths of a dream, you try to amuse me.
"... tonight is the night to finish this.
"This is the cacophony of noise that has accumulated inside of you in consequence of your connection with so many Heroic Spirits.
"They are remnants of dreams, shadows, and illusions. Dark things piled up deep within your soul. In a way, this is your... trash heap.
"The regrets, resentments, and shattered wishes of the myriad enemies you've defeated. Yes, that's right... everything from love to hatred.
"There is only one thing I can say to you now: begone.
"This is my job. It is not something you should see.
"Through your dreams, you have connected with the memories of many Heroic Spirits, and accomplished much, have you not? That is enough.
"There's no need for you to take responsibility for even the leftover emotions of corpses."


> ...

[music: stops.]





> I don't want you to fight alone!
I can't leave you alone!


"Ha..."

[music: outbreak ~FGO~.]

"Hahahahahahahahahaha! Fine! Then do not fall behind!
"Mere droplets, discarded and decayed! Ones that could not even reach anger, but merely sunk and festered.
"I shall consume them with my flames!
"My prey is the very carcasses of the phantoms you fought with the memories of the Heroic Spirits that your soul watches over!
"Hahaha. Yes, let their form be made clear this time!
"And mine as well!"




*



[sfx: approaching footsteps.]
[music: corridor of memories.]





Master's room is up ahead. Do you have business there? It is already late, and interrupting one's slumber is bad for their health.


No.


I... well... I suppose I'm just enjoying a midnight stroll.


What about you, Berserker? The Mage King's threat is no more. Why are you so on edge?


I am not on edge. I am simply looking for a chance to disinfect your brain.
Your mental state is injured. Your mental state is polluted, abnormal.
... it's twisted. Injured. Wounded.


... heh heh heh.


You are... laughing?


Of course I'm laughing! My mental state is far, far removed from any normal person's!


I am the vengeful demon! I am one who ceased to be human ages ago! I am the Count of Monte Cristo!


... but I have no need of treatment from you. I am what I am, and I have incarnated as myself in this 21st century.
As long as Master desires it, the Count of Monte Cristo shall exist. As long as he continues to fight, I shall lend my assistance.
To put it in your terms, the "injury" to my mental state is one that cannot be cured.
It is precisely the fact that my mind is beyond love and hatred, beyond madness, that certain things become possible for me... It may not happen often, but it does happen.


You are not making sense. Please speak clearly and concisely.


Treatment is unnecessary. Just leave me be, Mercédès.
And do not come near me. Your straightforward ways are similar to Ritsuka's.


And it is quite blinding... to me.


...?


Go check on Master in the morning. His mind and body may be somewhat exhausted.


... after all, he will have had a nightmare.




"Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes."
— Edmond Dantès, The Count of Monte Cristo