VENGEFUL DEMON'S WAIL AT THE PRISON TOWER!! :: 7th Door: The Count of Monte Cristo
“Then,” said Villefort, more and more amazed, and really supposing he was speaking to a mystic or a madman, “you consider yourself as one of those extraordinary beings whom you have mentioned?”
“And why not?” said Monte Cristo coldly.
— The Count of Monte Cristo
LAST TIME, ON FATE/GRAND ORDER...




here we are, at the end of it all. all that's left before us is the final judgment chamber. to what destination has his avenger led ritsuka? let's find out.
our final party is:

without further ado...
*

???:
When he finally achieved his bloody revenge, he abandoned all the evil he'd built up.
He regained once more the nobility he thought he'd lost.
His emotions. His love - his human goodness.
The man's name... His name, after he threw away the name of Count of Monte Cristo...
He became Edmond Dantès. The man who regained love, even after becoming a terrible avenger.
As he threw aside his revenge and set out on a journey, they say you could see a foreign princess at his side.
But... But now he is...



... Yes, Fou. It's fine. I'm sure Senpai will wake up tomorrow.

We can't let ourselves get down. We must stay strong.

When Senpai wakes up, we can't be seen feeling sad.

Fou, kyuu! Fou!

Yes, I think so. We need to be ready for Senpai to come back at any time -


Hmmph. Don't look so confused. The woman. The one I called Mercédès.
Where'd she go while I was gone? There's no place to go in the Château d'If.

> The Hall of Judgment, maybe?

Yes, that's the only part of this hell that you know.
But the prison tower you've seen is only a small part of the whole that is the Château d'If.

You have all that you need, but there are many other wonderful rooms inside it.

... Well, it doesn't matter.

Let's go. Get ready. The last Hall of Judgment has been prepared.

Kill the seventh Lord. Do not hesitate. Do not be uncertain. There is only one path, anyways.
(back into the hall for the last time...)


Not only that I'm personally at your side, but that you know naught of most of the hells within this place.

Something must love you very much. A rain of tortures do not assault your senses.

The screams of the imprisoned and dying do not assault your sense of hearing.

The endless stench of death does not assault your sense of smell.

> How do you know so much about this place?

Because of what I am. This is different in several ways from the real Château d'If...
... and in many ways it's closer to what I am. Neverending grudge has altered its very essence.

... Well, whatever the reason...

... the only thing that assails you is the Halls of Judgment. Not that I envy you -
But you walk a very different path than I do.
(and for the last time, into the judgment chamber.)


> No one's here?
Didn't you say it was prepared?

Let me tell you an old story. It'll help pass the time.

... I'd love a smoke, but I suppose I'll do without.

It's a simple old story. But some say it's the greatest tale of revenge the world has ever known.


He was an honest man. He didn't know that the world was full of evil.

That was how the man fell into a trap. He was falsely convicted and sent to the Château d'If...

He spent fourteen years in that hell, and when he escaped alive - he became an avenger.
He threw aside all that was good in man, and attained the cunning and power of a devil.

In his wrath, the man put all he had into his revenge.

One by one he terrified and slew all those who had sent him to that hell.

Heh... Oh, I can still remember their faces!
The shock when I told them my name! The despair when the evil deeds they'd forgotten came back to haunt them!

Haha - hahahahahahaha! That was true vengeance! Righteous revenge!

> Is that...
Was that man you, Avenger?

Hmmph. Don't be in such a hurry. Let your elders finish their stories.
(and here is where dantes waves his cane at ritsuka.)

But that's most of what I have to say. The man achieved his revenge, but let the last one go.

... Some say he abandoned his wickedness. They say at the very end, he regained his goodness.

- That he gained love.

> ... Why are you so mad?

... The man did indeed stop seeking revenge. He probably did regain the love he lost.
He disappeared, along with the captive princess who loved him.

> A happy ending.

Yes, it was.
The man's life became a story. Or perhaps the story was his life.

Whichever way it was -
The story received unparalleled acclaim, and countless emotions turned it into a myth of revenge.

Once the man cried out for the god of vengeance, but sadly, in the end, became that god himself.
The man's place was carved into history, in the vengeful form that existed in man's imagination.
His soul became a Heroic Spirit, and when the King of Mages tried to incinerate time itself -



...

In the end, I... I never did remember who I was.

But I know you. I don't know why, but I know you.

> Mercédès?
Are you the seventh -

Hello, Ritsuka. No, not you. The one in black, I...

Move! I prefer not to kill women.

> You went all out with Jeanne.

That was a Ruler. A human fortress. In body and soul, she's far too sturdy to be a woman.

This tower is a wicked thing, and so are you, Avenger.
You... cannot be allowed to exist in this world.

- Oh, interesting. Another woman uttering those same words, eh?

Mercédès. No, no, woman who has lost herself and wanders. Would you deny me? Here in the Château d'If?

You are no weak woman. You are strong. Your strong soul rivals even that Holy Maiden.
Show me what you really are! If I must not be allowed to exist...

- Then reveal yourself! Use your full power to kill me!

I still don't know... Why, why am I here?

... But there are those who will lend me strength.
(a howl, and a wraith emerges to face ritsuka and dantes.)


... We are wraiths who could not become Heroic Spirits...
... But we have never forgotten you for a moment...

A convergence of the curses within the Château d'If? No. There's no hatred. No rage.

Are those fragments of the souls that admire you? Hahaha! Splendid! Even the dead love you, woman!
You must have walked quite the path in life. Perhaps you are a famous Heroic Spirit.


!!!

Moooaann! Avenger! Pitiful... me!
This woman is our light, our one salvation. You must not reject - even her!
No salvation... No salvation! At least, then, die! Like a moth burning at the flame!
(battle start! and end - in the end, the dogroacheds prove themselves the head of the pack as usual. cascu and fsn cu were the last ones standing. i'm so proud of them.)
*
well that was a twist, but where's our battle with -

oh.

it's time to finish this story.
*


Stay where you are. Though I doubt you could move at all.

Don't let it bother you. I've simply done what I felt I must.

Did the wraiths help me for the reason he said...
Because of who I was in life?

I am supposed to be the Lord of the seventh Hall of Judgment. One of the obstacles set to slay you.

For some reason I lost that role, as well as my memories.
I still can't remember. But...

I pray that the light shines down upon your path.
Much of what he says is lies, but one thing he said remains in my heart.


(and back to the chateau we go.)


Without hatred, you are weak! True, you had an advantage over me -

But your blade could not touch me, woman. It was far too kind.

So it... seems...

I'm not the real Mercédès, but...
I pray that the light shines upon your path. Avenger... No...


> She's gone...

... Heh.
Haha. Hahahahaha! How hilarious! Those were her last words?

Me, Edmond?

No! No! First the Holy Maiden, then her! I am not him! I am not Edmond Dantès -
That's the name of a miserable, innocent prisoner. The name of a man who was saved...
... by a miraculous love -
That is not me. I am an Avenger! An eternal being of vengeance!
The name of a human who lived and died as a man! How could it be worthy of me?

> Is that your True Name?

... We're done talking.

The Château d'If's role will end soon. The seven judgments have been destroyed.

All that's left is to go outside, into the sunlight. But...

No human has escaped the Château d'If. With one exception.
It is the same even now that a million hatreds have reformed this place. Only one may leave.

> I figured this was coming.

Very perceptive. No, I suppose it's to be expected.
The one who remains shall become the new Abbé Faria.
They will end their life as one who shatters despair and guides toward hope. It's a meaningful way to end one's life.

You, or me. One of us will survive and one of us will die.

- Come, my temporary Master. Prepare yourself.
Of course, I have no intention of dying. I was lucky enough to come back to this world.

I will do as I please. I'll make you a second Abbé Faria, and live.

Your story will end. It's that simple.






(battle begin! and end - as the event begins, it ends, with cu being the last man standing with the help of a command seal for his np. truly best dog. and now, the last scene.)


Amazing. I see. You've learned how I fight... Your time as my temporary Master was well-spent.

Hahaha! This feels good! Indeed! I wanted to taste this once!
To be like the one person who gave me guidance... The noble Abbé Faria!


(
)
> Dantès...

... So you would call me that... too?

I shall admit it! You have done me a favor by killing me! You have guided me to victory -

You don't understand? ... Yes, I'm sure.

I knew naught of victory. Even as I found my place in history as an Avenger...

Because Edmond was saved at the end...
I, the one who failed to taste victory and achieve his revenge, continued to exist.

But... you, Ritsuka. I guided you to victory, and you overcame the obstacles and escaped the prison tower.


I was without victory, and you allowed me to guide you, and earn that victory.

You're so generous - haha, Ritsuka!
"We" have won! Not even the King of Mages is all-powerful!

> So this was Solomon's...

Fool. You may speak of the King of Mages, but do not use his True Name so carelessly.
That name has become a curse. Just saying it aloud is enough to place that curse on you.
That is how you came to be in this hell.

You stared into his eyes in London, did you not? That was enough for him.

It's called the Evil Eye. You were given a fatal poison then.

He didn't let you go. He decided that you were already finished.

But - haha! Hahaha! This was the result! Too bad, King of Mages!
Your single whim, your single cunning trap has met its end here!
That's what you get for choosing me, you fool!
Walk forth! Keep struggling! You have been released... from this prison of the soul!
Someday you shall save the world!

> Will you disappear forever?

... You would wish to meet me, an Avenger, once more?

Hahaha! HAHAHAHA! Then there is but one thing I can say!

(and with that... we're free from the prison tower for good.)




If I'm not dreaming, this means...


Good morning, Ritsuka. You were asleep a long time. Do you have a headache?

Fou, kyau! Kyuu!

Senpai. Good morning. ... I'm glad you're back.

I'm so glad -

> I'm home, Mash.

‘Wait and hope.’
— Edmond Dantès, The Count of Monte Cristo

